Thursday, March 24, 2005

starting chemotherapy...

My first chemo treatment is today, I am very nervous about how it will go and what side effects I may have to endure. The appointment starts with a consult with Dr. Hei - that is pretty quick. Next I schedule out my two next appointments - which I will post in a minute. Finally, I go back to the treatment area - my nurse for the day Diana, is very helpful, explains EVERYTHING, and checks on me constantly (so does the rest of the staff in the clinic, including my doctor and the pharmacist). It starts with putting in an IV line, and then giving me three pre-chemo drugs to help with nausea (aloxi, last 5 days), inflammation and healing (decadron, a type of steroid), and finllay a little more help for nausea and anxiety (lorazepam or ativan). After a 30 minute wait, my chemo begins - ABVD (adriamycin, bleomycin, vinblastine, dacarbazine). Three of the drugs (ABV) are pushed right into the IV on after another. The fourth (D) is "infused" over an hour (small continuous dose given using a special machine). After and between treatments, I have been prescribed 2 drugs to help with nausea - zofran (taken every 8 hours) and lorazepam (taken at night typially , but can be repeqted every 6 hour if needed). So, far, I have only had minimal side-effects, a crummy feeling in my tummy, I feel a little warm/pale/clammy, and a slight bit of weak/shakey/muscle tiredness. HURRRAY, so far it is not too bad. -- more to follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home