Friday, July 08, 2005

radiology consultation with Dr. Howard...

I met with my Radiation Oncologist today - Dr. Howard from UW Hospital. The treatment options are:
(1) do nothing more since my scan came back fine
(2) hit it hard with a full dose, full spread radiation
(3) "top off" my treatment with localized, low dose radiaiton

Option 3 it is - I start my treatment with a CT scan on Monday and then 10 treatments (basically 2 weeks) of treatments follow. Each dose will be 2 Grays for a total of 20 grays (just below the max tolerance of the parotid glad (saliva gland on the side of one's mouth) which means a VERY SMALL chance of long-term side effect. Short-term, I will have some tenderness on my cheek (like a sunburn) and on the inside of my mouth plus localized hairloss.

None of this sounds too bad after chemo --- I'll take it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home