Thursday, July 14, 2005

a new phase of treatment begins...

Radiation Week 1

Thurs 8/14/05 -- OK, once again they did not prepare me for this first treatment. All Dr. Howard said was the first one takes a little longer than the rest. 45 MINUTES. Upon arriving at the treatment room, I had a little wait, but that was not a big deal. They took me into the treatment room and had me take off my shirt and lie down on the treatment table. They moved me into position and secured me to the table using my treatment mask. THEN THE FUN BEGAN. A little to the right. A little to the left. Up a little. Down a little. In a little. Out a little. I felt like it was some sort of twisted amusement park ride where the observers are the ones who are "amused".

Once in position, they took an X-ray to be sure I was in the proper position. This X-ray had to be developed and checked by my Radiation Oncologist, Dr. Howard. Once the positioning was verified, then it went quickly. Treat from the front, treat from the back, and then done. They did take another X-ray from the back, but I did not have to wait for that one to be developed. All in all, another 45 MINUTES of being strapped to the table. Supposedly the rest will go quicker....or so they say!?!?!?

Fri 8/15/05 -- unbelievably fast (especially as compared to my first treatment). I went from my car, to the waiting room, into the treatment room, though my treatment, and back out my car in 10 MINUTES!!!! Now that is more like it.

Sat 8/16/05 -- Same 10 minute timeframe as yesterday. In fact, they were waiting for me to arrive, so NO WAITING.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home